WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, the American Vaping Association, a nonprofit that advocates for sensible regulation of vaping issues, reacted to the Trump Administration’s announcement that the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) will issue compliance policy in the coming weeks that could result in all nicotine vaping products in flavors other than tobacco being pulled from the market.
Gregory Conley, President of the American Vaping Association, released the following statement:
- FDA testing of nicotine vaping products has found “nothing unusual,” according to the Washington Post last week.
- FDA and the New York State Department of Health have found vitamin E acetate, an oil used as a diluent thickener, in only THC products.
- Emergency room doctors, including one in New York, have stated that young patients are often reluctant to admit to using THC.
- Multiple state health departments have pointed to illicit THC vaping products as the likely cause these illnesses.
- Two of the six deaths associated with “vaping” were explicitly linked to THC vaping cartridges by state health departments. Three deaths have no details. In a sixth death, in Los Angeles County, no details of the deceased were released, but the LA County Health Department did state that “nearly all” patients had vaped THC.
About the American Vaping Association
The American Vaping Association is a nonprofit organization that advocates for fair and sensible regulation of vapor products, otherwise known as electronic cigarettes, with the goal of maximizing the number of adult smokers who use these products to quit smoking. The AVA was founded by Gregory Conley, a consumer and industry advocate with a long track record of advocating for vapor products dating back to 2010.
We are dedicated to educating the public and government officials about public health benefits offered by vapor products, which are battery-powered devices that heat a liquid nicotine or nicotine-free solution and create an inhalable vapor. The AVA is not a trade group and does not speak for any particular businesses, including our industry sponsors.